Identity Code: CARD
HQ: Cardiff International Stadium, Cardiff, CF11 8AZ
Cardiff AAC traces its origin back to 1882 and to the Royal Oak public house which is still on Newport Road in Cardiff, near its junction with Broadway. Roath Harriers were formed as a cross country club with their HQ at the Royal Oak.
Cardiff’s Maindy Stadium was opened in 1951 and this coincided with the formation of Birchgrove Harriers, with both sharing the track. In 1968, the two clubs amalgamated to form Cardiff Amateur Athletic Club.
The Welsh side joined the BAL in 1969 and the UKWAL in 1975.
Athlete Nigel Walker ran for Britain in the 110m hurdles at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles and played rugby union 17 times for Wales.
Honours: BAL Champions from 1973 to 1975
Colours: Blue with red and white stripes